On Music Monday's we like to not only bring you new music, but introduce you to the driving voices (and forces) behind new acts. Meet Sylvie Barnett, the drive behind Distinguished Talent Agency and Head Talent Buyer for the Grateful Generation. Read on as we discuss what inspires, pushes, and allows her to see the potential, and beauty, within the artists she works with.
1) What inspires you daily? I am inspired daily by the amazing music and art constantly being created and the people in my life who are up to big things. I am blessed to be surrounded by amazing writers, filmmakers, musicians, curators, production personnel and many other working professionals.
2) How did the company get started? I started Distinguished Talent earlier this year as a sister agency to Street Ritual geared more towards the mainstream. Distinguished Talent is a labor of love, which has brought in an abundant amount of my knowledge of the music industry.
3) How do you decide which artists to work with? I pick my clients based on which artists produce music that speaks to me and have powerful visions that I can stand behind. It also needs to be a good fit on both sides in order to make it a win-win for everyone involved.
4) Why the music industry? I’ve always loved music. I grew up singing in choirs, dancing and playing guitar and piano.
5) What was the artist/band that really began this love with music? Drum and bass really opened the gates for my love for electronic music. Some of my early favorites were Benny Page, Calibre, Shy FX, Teebee, Goldie, Roni Size, LTJ Bukem, High Contrast, the list goes on. I’ve also always really loved Daft Punk and Fatboy Slim. They’re definitely two of my favorites.
6) What are the Distinguished Talent Agency’s goals? I’m hoping that Distinguished Talent can become one of the best boutique booking agencies around and that we align ourselves with powerful partners while helping launching the careers of many amazing artists. Ultimately Distinguished Talent’s goal is to help launch the careers of independent artists by providing them with live entertainment opportunities ultimately helping them achieve their dreams. Distinguished Talent aims to help generate new revenue for the music industry while bringing people together to enjoy music.
7) What are you most excited about for the future? Any releases we should make note of? I’m the most excited to keep providing new opportunities for Distinguished Talent Agency clients. Halloween and NYE tend to be two of the most exciting times of year for live music events. Electric Mantis will be dropping some really cool tunes this fall. Alexander Lewis and Mike Gao are constantly releasing awesome tracks.
Listen to our DTA themed playlist below: